Most jobs and post-secondary training be it at a college/university or a technical school will require students to be proficient in 21st century learning skills. More than likely, our students will be required to work in an online environment after graduation. Seeing as it is our responsibility to prepare our students for life after high school, we have decided to provide our students a taste of 21st century learning through online coursework.
The online courses are for students in grades 7-12 who wish to have an online alternative option for their education.
Students who enroll will be required to attend an on-site orientation with Mr. Grice at Belle Vernon Area High School. Each teacher’s syllabus will outline a specific course calendar and guidelines.
Learning in an online environment can be more demanding than learning in the traditional classroom setting. In an online environment, students are accountable for completing much of the work on their own. Since students work at their own pace for much of the class, they need to have the motivation to keep up with the course work. Students should have basic computer skills, should know how to save documents, use email and access the Internet.Online teachers will set office hours, schedule face to face meetings and require online discussion boards as needed. Students need to participate in all of these events and ask their teachers for help, when necessary.Students may also be able to select from a list of online courses available from Belle Vernon and other schools in Westmoreland County.RESOURCES:Compulsary School Attendance and Truancy Elimination Plan______________________________________Computer Lab Hours - Special Lab hours may be scheduled with Mr. Grice by request.E-mail: John.Grice@bellevernonarea.net______________________________________
Computer/Technical requirements for online and/or Hybrid Learners - Belle Vernon Area will provide computer and internet access to students who choose this option for their education – BVA eAcademy students will be supplied with a laptop computer, fully loaded with the Microsoft Office Suite and internet access along with technical support.Hardware
Computer/Technical requirements for students taking a single online course - Students may use district facilities during study halls and/or before and after school. Students should have the following capabilities on a personal computer to do work from home.
- Windows: Windows 7, XP, Vista or NT, 4.0, 2000, and a high speed Internet connection such as a DSL or cable modem.
- Macintosh: Mac OS X and a high speed Internet connection such as a DSL or cable modem.
- Audio input and output. These speakers/headphones and microphones may be purchased for less than $20 each.
- Internet Explorer 8.0 or later, Firefox 6.0 or later, Google Chrome.
- eAcademy recommends the most up to date versions of Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome for use within Moodle.
· Some of the Moodle courses use pop-up windows; therefore you will need to disable pop-up blockers in your browser. Some blockers may be turned off on Windows by right clicking an icon on the system tray, next to where the clock resides. Forcomplete instructions on disabling your pop-up blocker, please see the “Tools” section on your district’s Moodle site.
Technical Support - Students should first contact their eAcademy teachers, second refer to their online student manual and/or contact the WIU Technical Support Helpline, Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. at 1.888.836.2269.John E. Grice IVBelle Vernon Area High School PrincipalBVA eAcademy Director425 Crest AvenueBelle Vernon, PA 15012Phone: 724.808.2500 x2500Fax: 724.930.7909Twitter: @BVA_Grice
- Software should include a word processor; a spreadsheet; and a presentation program. The most common supplier is Microsoft Office. MS Office can be found at reduced price for students. Other open source or free programs are available such as Libre Officeand can be obtained online for free at http://libreoffice.orgor from the eAcademy Helpdesk Moodle Page.
- Adobe Reader 9.0 or later
- QuickTime 7.0 or later
The Vision Statement of the Belle Vernon Area School District is
"To Access the Future Through Excellence in Education."