Word of the Day
The purpose of word of the day is to expand your vocabulary. This will help you in many ways such as improving your composition writing. If you know more words, you can choose more precise ones to use. You will be expected to incorporate these words into our writing compositions this year so the goal is not just memorization but application. Each day we will discuss and practice words. This is work that is mostly independent studying and should be practiced on regular basis at home in addition to our in class review. Each child has a copy of the Sadlier text which they can write in and refer to when studying.
1. Read the word and listen to how it is pronounced.
2. Read the word’s part of speech and think about what that means.
3. Read the word’s definition(s).
4. Read the words synonyms and antonyms.
5. Read the example sentence. Think about how the word is used and what it
means in that sentence.
6. Be able to write your own original sentence using the word correctly.
W.O.D. words can also be listened to and practiced at the Sadlier web site. To access the website, visit:Word of the Day Review Games