Name: Mrs. Cindy PiercePhone: (724) 808 - 2500 Ext. 2410Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgClassroom: Life Skills Support (LSS)Grade: 9th - 12th gradesHelp Hours: Support available throughout the school day
Remote Learning Information:
Our goal for our Life Skills students remains the same: to prepare them for the real world once graduating from BVASD. We will continue to work toward IEP goals through online instruction and reinforcement of language, math and adaptive behavior skills (self-care; communication; self-advocacy; social skills; leisure; home or school living; community use; work and health/safety). There will be assignments posted; tools students may need for support (math charts; online calculator) as well as additional materials and resources (lists of links to instructional videos; games; online books etc.). Hands-on tasks and pencil/paper assignments may be provided based on need. Students will have opportunities for group and/or individual instruction and support. Information and support will be provided through Google Classroom, email, cell/phone contact, Zoom and other platforms as needed. Related services will be incorporated to meet the needs of the students. Field trips and community-based learning opportunities are postponed until further notice. Transition based opportunities will continue to be offered based on student need. Now and always - remember to reach for the stars!
Google Classroom: https://classroom.google.com/u/0/h
Zoom Link: https://wiu7.zoom.us/j/5251972447
Welcome to room #410 at Belle Vernon Area High School! Our goal is to work together to develop and reinforce skills that will help us to become ethical, confident and productive members of society. We will accomplish our goal through teamwork, dedication and respect. We will be working on the following skills:
- Functional academics (math, language and social science)
- Daily living skills (household maintenance, laundry skills, etc.)
- Health and safety
- Cooking & meal preparation skills including designing menus, locating recipes & grocery shopping
- Money management skills including banking, budgeting & class rewards program
- Personal hygiene & grooming
- Partners programs for art, physical education, swimming and choir
- Social skills
- Communication skills
- Leisure & recreation
- Pre-vocational skills
In addition, we will have many opportunities to learn through modeling & practical experiences through participation in school, district & community-based activities & field trips throughout the year. These could include ...
- Peer mentorship & buddies (Friends First club & Partner's programs)
- Volunteer, apprenticeships & work-based learning experiences
- Opportunities for social & life experiences at restaurants, stores, bank, libraries & additional businesses within the community
- Additional social & sport-related events that would include other Life Skills classes from within and outside of BVASD (S.T.A.R.S.)
Please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns. And always remember ...