OVERVIEW AND PARTICIPATION REQUIREMENTSStudents may also be able to select from a list of online courses available from Belle Vernon and other schools in Westmoreland County.______________________________________Student Guidelines for BVA eAcademy Courses
- The school district will be responsible for the cost of courses taken due to scheduling conflicts, or the cost of courses taken within a student’s 8 credit schedule.
- All students must maintain a minimum of seven credits at all times. This seven credit minimum will include online courses. The seven credit minimum may be waved based on extenuating circumstances on a case-by-case basis.
- The student will be responsible for payment of courses for any other situation. The price per class for the 2016 -2017 school-year will be $335 for a full-year course and $230 for a semester course.
- The principals will approve and document any exceptions to these guidelines.
- The student must complete the course no later than the last day of instruction for the semester or end of year for a year long course unless approved by the BVA eAcademy administration.
- The student may be required to report to the school to meet with the teacher and/or BVA eAcademy administration to review assignments, complete assessments, etc. Also, the teacher may designate a specific time for students to participate in on-line activities.
- Any student requesting to drop a class (within the 15-day probationary period) must follow the same procedure as traditional classes, by having the request approved by the guidance office and BVA eAcademy administration. Also, the student will be responsible for fees associated with the course if dropping a course beyond the 15 day probationary period.
- The same academic standards and expectations apply to on-line classes as do in the traditional class room setting.
- Upon request, BVA eAcademy administration can make available for parents their child’s activity report to monitor their child’s assignments and progress.
- If a student fails a BVA eAcademy course the student will be required to reimburse the Belle Vernon Area School district
Computer/Technical requirements for online and/or Hybrid Learners - Belle Vernon Area will provide computer and internet access to students who choose this option for their education – BVA eAcademy students will be supplied with a laptop computer, fully loaded with the Microsoft Office Suite and internet access along with technical support.Computer/Technical requirements for students taking a single online course -Hardware
- Macintosh: Mac OS X and a high speed Internet connection such as a DSL or cable modem.
- Audio input and output. These speakers/headphones and microphones may be purchased for less than $20 each.
- Internet Explorer 8.0 or later, Firefox 6.0 or later, Google Chrome.
- eAcademy recommends the most up to date versions of Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome for use within Moodle.
· Some of the Moodle courses use pop-up windows; therefore you will need to disable pop-up blockers in your browser. Some blockers may be turned off on Windows by right clicking an icon on the system tray, next to where the clock resides. Forcomplete instructions on disabling your pop-up blocker, please see the “Tools” section on your district’s Moodle site.
Technical Support - Students should first contact their eAcademy teachers, second refer to their online student manual and/or contact the WIU Technical Support Helpline, Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. at 1.888.836.2269.John E. Grice IVBelle Vernon Area High School PrincipalBVASD eAcademy Director425 Crest AvenueBelle Vernon, PA 15012Phone: 724.808.2500 x2500Fax: 724.930.7909Twitter: @BVA_Grice
- Software should include a word processor; a spreadsheet; and a presentation program. The most common supplier is Microsoft Office. MS Office can be found at reduced price for students. Other open source or free programs are available such as Libre Officeand can be obtained online for free at http://libreoffice.orgor from the eAcademy Helpdesk Moodle Page.
- Adobe Reader 9.0 or later
- QuickTime 7.0 or later
The Vision Statement of the Belle Vernon Area School District is
"To Access the Future Through Excellence in Education."